Total Pageviews

Saturday 19 April 2014

Hambleden BE100 18-04-14. We won!

What a day!

A real leisurely start given our dressage wasn't until 2.40pm.  We arrived at Hambleden just after 1pm, had a wander to get my number and assessed the ground for what studs to use for dressage.  It was pretty firm but with the potential to be a little slippery on top so decided on just a little outside one on the backs to try and minimise concussion to his delicate front feet.  He was stuffy in the warmup.  I could tell he wasn't enjoying the ground.  I took him further up the warmup to near the XC warmup to see if I could liven him up but he wasn't interested.  Even going round the arena when I tried to stop him anticipating a transition he threw his head up in the air and told me to get lost which isn't like him.  Our test went the same way - he did everything where it should have been but he wasn't as soft and round as he can be because he wasn't really coming through from behind with any power.  It felt rather delicate and I think if I'd pushed him he'd have told me where to go.  I thought it might get mid 30's - definitely not our best show.  Here is the video:

So, then we had 2.5hrs to kill before SJ.  Always a danger when you've got that much time to end up in a last minute rush.  We wandered down to watch some SJ, met up with a few friends, had a natter, had some food and then off to walk the XC.  I knew it was the same route as previous yrs when I've been to watch and had seen the photos online so had an idea what to expect.  Considering it is a course described as one for those thinking of stepping up to the next level I didn't see anything that would challenge us.  No corner, no trakehner.  Really the time would be the only thing as it was quite twisty turny through the woods.

Back to the scoreboards to check our dressage score and nearly fell over when I saw we'd got 21.5 and were leading the section by 5 marks.  That's a personal best for us by 3 marks.  It felt nowhere near as good as the tests he did at Hartpury last week but I've come to the conclusion I know nothing about what the judges are looking for!  It wasn't just me, my friend with me agreed it really wasn't his best work.

So, pressure on, time to not mess up the jumping!  Got back to the lorry and fairly predictably ended up in a bit of a rush.  He slipped unloading from the lorry and I had a sudden panic about studs and whacked a few more in as worst thing for him is to lose confidence in the ground and I was mindful he'd slipped behind in our lesson on grass on Wednesday whilst knowing I had to protect his front feet from excessive concussion.  Got on and warmed him up for the SJ - kept the jumping to a minimum - the ground was solid and he wasn't enjoying it.  Jumped one big oxer and he flew it so in we went.  He jumped a fantastic round.  The course was really well built with lots of fillers and I had hoped that would play in his favour and get him up in the air and it did!  He cleared everything by a mile, I got a good shot into every fence, the ground was much much better and he stormed round.  What a buzz!  Remembered what Chris had said to keep the power up round the corners before an oxer, to hold for the shorter strides for the verticals, made sure to cut the corners as lots were getting time faults - finally it just all went to plan.


Quick changeover and off to XC.  Popped him over each warmup fence once but again warmup hard so no need to do very much.  Managed to get him to do the start box rather sensibly for him, just kept him walking on the left rein, in the front and out the back and then turned around and off we went.  The commentator had been giving us the big build up while we were walking round the box.  I knew we had enough in hand for a few time pens but I just aimed to go at the speed I needed to to get round safely.  Jumped the first two nicely then jumped huge over the brush at 3, spooked his way through the woods to the drop palisade at 4 but over safely.

Fence 4:

Then on down the hill, steady and turn right to a big table, steady up through a deeper bit of ground then right again to a spooky table type jump with white rope round the edges.  I saw a longish one which might not have been sensible at a spooky fence he was likely to back off so employed my best pony club kicks and over we went! Then steadied right back for a tight turn to two steps down - wasted some time here but didn't want him to slip on the turn and the ground was deep on the steps so popped down those from a trot, then on through a twisty bit of wood and suddenly straight in front of you is a bounce up 2 decent steps but he popped up no probs and galloped on over a sheep feeder then steady back for 2 hanging logs on a 5 stride right handed curve which involved taking the second skinnier log on an angle but he just made it feel so easy.  Gallop on to the water, popped in, picked up canter, got in a little close to the exit element but over safely, spooked at something in the woods, flew sideways, round the corner then over a curved hanging log, kick on again before steadying up for a real skinny little chunky log which he really locked onto and flew then a bit more spooking at some tree roots which probably didn't set us up great for a double of curved logs which had walked on 2 strides but I got in really deep to the first part and landed really steeply.  He is so clever he just tucked in 3 strides and popped out no probs (although the photos aren't the prettiest!)
Here he is on the way to the coffin:

The coffin walked a slightly short two strides but was on rising ground so should be a comfy two.  Had watched several earlier, one flew through on one, one nearly fell over it trying to do it on 3, most made it look easy on two.  Monty dropped back to trot just before, quietly popped over the ditch then leg on and made it feel easy on two.  The commentator can be heard saying that was one of the best they'd seen all day (proud moment!).  Then kicked on for the last!

Heard the commentator say as we walked back to the lorry that we were 8 seconds over time so 3.2time pens to add giving us a finishing score of 24.7 which would be hard to beat.  We were very near the end of the section so didn't have long to wait before they read out the top 10 over the tannoy and we had won!  Wow!  I am so chuffed with how much more confident we both are at this level now.  He takes his confidence from me so ultimately it's all down to me and any balls up in the past have been totally my fault.  I have worked seriously hard on increasing my knowledge and skill and it's so lovely to have it all paying off.

Hatcam:


Dressage sheet - two 9's for his centre lines and plenty of 8's including one for my riding!

Final score sheet:

Onwards and upwards to Badminton now - just hope we haven't peaked a couple of weeks too early!

No comments:

Post a Comment