Total Pageviews

Saturday 13 December 2014

BSJA Parwood 13-12-14

As is usual with BSJA - you either end up miles too early and waiting around for hours or late and in a mad rush!  Last time the former, this time the latter.  Missed the course walk for the Discovery which was not good as the second phase was seriously twisty with some tight turns I really could have done with walking.  A friend told me the course and the striding which helped and I just had time to watch 3 go.  Quick warmup.  He started trying to warm up in a poncy dressage canter and got a little reminder that we were SJing today and quickly became the gobby horse I know best.  Had him in his dressage bridle today - still experimenting what he jumps best in.  He was lovely and soft as long as I let him mooch along but once I upped the tempo and razzed him up a bit I don't think it would matter what bit he is in!

Very much enjoying jumping in my new Albion K2 Jump which my super sponsors West Kent Saddles have found me after months of searching for a saddle that fitted Monty and that I felt secure in.  It looks fabulous!

First class was Discovery running as single phase so get to jump the 2nd phase no matter what.  He jumped a fab round.  I held one stride too long at the castle and let him just get a bit flat to the penultimate fence which he had down (along with half the class) but I was really pleased with how he jumped, how easy he made the twisty turns in the 2nd phase and how smooth it all felt.  I also thought it looked quite small - never thought I'd say that about Discovery!


Actually turning in the air for the tricky tight turn to the next fence


If only he gave them all this much room!






Little break then back on for the 1.05m. Good, positive warmup and carried that through into the ring.  This class the 2nd phase looked huge but first phase was up to height yet still looking very doable which was nice.  It was 2 phase anyway so unlikely to get through to 2nd phase!!  He was really unlucky to breathe on the first part of the first double then gave the 2nd part a decent knock for good measure.  Shame as put him on a much better stride than in the first class.  Got a flyer to the 2nd double which has huuuuge oxer on the way in and he was great to respond and gave me a fab feeling.  He is just the most frustrating horse to SJ.  He has oodles of scope but just can't be bothered to pick up his feet those extra couple of millimetres over all the fences!  Most of them he gives them yards.  Still, just jumping smooth rounds over fences this size is huge progress for us!  I watched the Newcomers after and they only put it up a hole - definitely aiming for that next!

Off to Merrist Wood for dressage to music - first Medium level one next weekend then it's a bit of hacking and hunting for the clever orange one over Christmas before we pick up the dressage/SJ/arena evening again in the New Year.







Huuuuge oxer!  Lovely neat jump.


Beautiful jump


No comments:

Post a Comment